Obesity is a complex disease involving an excessive amount of body fat. Obesity isn’t just a cosmetic concern. This condition can increase your risk of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers.
There are numerous reasons why some people gain weight. It is usually the result of a combination of inherited factors, combined with the environment and personal diet and exercise choices. Even modest weight loss can improve or prevent the health problems associated with obesity. Dietary changes, increased physical activity and behavior’s changes can help you lose weight. With the right guidance, one can lose weight and regain lost health and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Causes of Obesity
Obesity develops gradually from poor diet and lifestyle choices, and also result from other factors. A few causes of obesity are:
- Eating junk food frequently: Fast food meals, cakes and pastries, sweets, processed meats and sugary drinks are loaded with kilojoules.
- Drinking too much alcohol, which contains a lot of kilojoules with no nutritional benefits.
- Avoiding physical activity — only half of Australians do enough physical activity for good health.
- Family history — the habits you grew up with and the genes you inherited from your parents.
- Surroundings — what kinds of food are available and in what portions, where you work and sleep.
- Metabolism — how efficiently your body turns food into energy.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions cause weight gain, such as hypothyroidism.
- Medications: Some medications can cause weight gain as a side effect, such as antipsychotic medications.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Loss
In Ayurveda, obesity is treated not only for weight loss, but also in terms of adjusting metabolic processes by reducing ama and the excess fat to regulate the function of kapha without vitiating vata. Here are the common therapies used in ayurveda for treating obesity:
Panchakarma is one of the most famous treatment methods in Ayurveda for Obesity. The process consists of five steps for the detoxification and rejuvenation of mind and body. This treatment contains herbal massages and cleansing enemas.
Applying stimulating oils like Bhringaraj, Til Taila on the Shira (head) and pressing down on the scalp in gentle, circular motions remarkably soothes the mind. This, in turn, boosts blood circulation to the central nervous system.
Basti is a treatment to support vata energy. An enema prepared with oil and fat, which are the sharp properties of vata, will help to reduce kapha, eliminate ama toxins and correct fat metabolism without vitiating vata.
All the Ayurveda treatments will be customized by Physician only after detailed consultation. Treatments may be changed based on the individual strength.